Thursday, March 17, 2011

mind over matter..

I started today with high hopes, a rev of energy that allowed me to wake up extra early to cram in a little extra studying for an exam, scripture reading, and my favorite cereal breakfast.

Then things went downhill..
Packing my lunch for the day made me late for the exam
On the hike up suicide hill my outfit decided to malfunction causing regret in my choice of apparel
Realizing my weekend purse clean out left me without a necessary pencil
Finding a pencil, I was stumped by the first 10 questions regarding a lame scenario
Staying till I was the second to last person in the room staring at the scenario trying to figure out what I was missing
Instantly realizing it was St. Patrick's day when entering work and feeling more regret in my outfit decision
Discovering my mp3 player was dead leaving me with no music..

With all of this on my mind I started to doubt the day, what it had in store for me. I started determining the other bad things about the day, how much I had to do etc.. but then I caught myself.
Instead of slipping into accepting a drab, bad day I decided to fight it. I decided to say no to all of the stupid thoughts swirling in my brain and pick out the good things. I chose to make today a great day, and I was successful!

Once work was over I headed to another class and found myself smiling through the boring lecture. I highly enjoyed the sandwich that had made me late only hours previously grateful I had something to eat. I soaked in all of the spiritual goodness my amazing institute class had to offer me discovering the true power that is shown through the restoration. Stopping at the computer lab to print an assignment I was emailed the news that I got a 95% on that test that had so horribly tried to dampen my day and enjoyed a phone call to my papa that left me feeling special that he loved me enough to remember I had an exam that morning. My last class had me laughing for an entire hour, happy that I am in a major with such awesome professors that I have gotten to know so well. On my way home I chose to take back the regret over my outfit choice, happy I discovered the practicality in addition to the fashionableness of tucking in shirts.

Finished with classes I chose to reward myself. Too often I forget to allow myself to simply do something just because, just for me, no one else. I returned home enjoyed a delightful snack, put on my sunglasses, rolled down the windows in my car, turned on fabulous music radiating the appreciative mood I was in and landed myself at the D.I. in the search for a new mug. Outside was beautiful, I took the time to notice the birds and the blue of the sky filling in the space left by the happy white clouds. Soaking in some of the first glimpses of spring I realized that I could have missed this. I could have chosen to sulk, chosen to nit-pick and endure another boring day but I didn't.
I chose to be happy.
I chose to be grateful.
I chose to enjoy and smile and appreciate and live life the way that everyday should be lived. Attitude is what you make it to be, no matter what happens we are in control!

I succeeded in my pursuit, I actual quadrupled it. I perused and appreciated the neat things all around the store till I landed at my favorite dishes isle. My mug collection may seem silly, insignificant to another but for me it brings such a smile to my face to find one I love, to find unique treasures with their own story behind them. While sorting through the options I came across one with the words, "Today can be the start of something good" it fit so perfectly with my day that I had to buy it, another had another cute quote written inside of it, thusly I left the store beaming. To further my good mood I made the choice to attend a fireside that filled me with more goodness, noticing all of the amazing strong young adults that there are in logan and experience immense appreciation for my personal knowledge of the gospel and decision to serve a mission in the future.

Today was a good day and I made it that way. I was reminded of the power that I hold, the power in the decision of attitude and how truly great my life is at this moment.

2 comments:

  1. Juju,
    Love your perspective, love your optimism, love your new mugs, and love YOU! Make today a great one! Love, momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie! I found your blog and just wanted to say that you are the cutest. :) Hope you are doing well!!
    xo. Lisa {Harris} Morgan

    ReplyDelete